Monday, January 10, 2011

Mmmm, Freebies!

In honor of Monday, the first day of the work week, I will begin a weekly blog entry labeled "Money Monday." I am very interested in financial literacy. I believe that the more you know about money and the earlier you know it, the better off you'll be in the long run.

That being said, one of the most important things to me as a newcomer to financial literacy is saving money and finding relevant and helpful ways to curb my spending. Now that I have become open to the idea of saving, it has become easier. More and more ways to save money appear all the time. The library has always been a great resource when looking to save money but did you know that here in New York City, you can check out magazines from the library for up to 7 days? What an asset! I am a person that will "splurge" on a good magazine while in the check out line in a store. If you're like me, I encourage you to save that $5 and get your periodicals from the library instead of the newsstand. Think of where else that $5 could be spent in the future -- like on that margarita you plan you drink during your next vacation! Your money is a tool that works in your favor to help you obtain what you want out of life's big picture. So pay attention to the little dollars you spend and if you can supplement your habits with free resources (like magazines from the library), find ways to make that a normal practice in your life. Even the smallest amount of discipline with spending goes a long way!

No comments: